Parish Council Meeting – 3rd Oct 2017

PRESENT :

Councillors : John Clayton (Chair), Joan Bucknall (Vice Chair)

Isobel Fitzgerald, Margaret Morris, Derek Jones, Barry Bates

Clerk : Carol Clements

APOLOGIES : Roger Putnam

MINUTES : Minutes of the Council Meeting held on Tuesday 5th Sept 2017 agreed and signed.

CONFLICT of INTEREST : none

OPEN FORUM :

Mr. Brian Strugnell (on behalf of himself & his neighbours) raised the subject of the trees on the opposite side of the road to Woodmere, Spindlewood and White Gate Cottage : there is concern over the lack of growth control which means the trees are now encroaching on the properties which may lead to potential damage e.g. falling branches etc. Requested that Council ask local council to view. Cllr Fitzgerald asked if whole village could be surveyed. Clerk to contact Highways Warwickshire.

COUNTY & DISTRICT COUNCILLOR COMMENTS :

Warwickshire County Councillor – Cllr John Horner :-

OUTSTANDING ISSUES :

 At the July parish council meeting, Cllr Putnam had raised a query regarding the lack of 50mph signs on main road out of Ullenhall and the possible use of hand held speed guns:  Cllr Horner advised that he has requested GPS data to see what speeds traffic are doing. Depending on those results, he may then be able to get a study done. Acknowledged that the process was slow, but he would continue to follow up. Cllr Bucknall asked if it was possible to get any feedback regarding speed data etc. : Cllr Horner advised that the Community Forum was the best place to hear such information.

With regard to hand held speed cameras, Cllr Horner advised that Claverdon have one which is not being used – suggested that perhaps Ullenhall should borrow it. He will organize it. Also suggested that Ullenhall may want to start a Speedwatch Group. (see also “Matters Arising Point 3”)

Re the potential flood risk caused by the obstruction of the stream along Watery Lane, where the resident has agreed to lower the feature to allow a better flow of water. Cllr Horner has sent a letter to Michael Green regarding this obstruction – still chasing.

The finish of the gabions along Watery Lane has raised concerns and W.C.C. highways contractors are to return to re-do some of the work. Cllr Horner followed up with John Brown – matter still ongoing.

Other points raised by Cllr Horner included :

  • notification that the recycling centre has now changed to “Winter Hours”
  • reminder that flu vaccinations are available and free to 1 in 3 people
  • currently has the legal department investigating drone flying problems
  • acknowledged that there are no funds available for additional police despite the rise in car crime in the area

Stratford upon Avon District Councillor – Cllr Stephen Thirlwell :-

Ref Church Hill : Cllr Thirwell has taken photos etc. but Council Officer wants to look at herself. Portfolio holder also wants something to be done. Will advise of any further news.

Cllr Fitzgerald noted that the garages have been sold, fences have been taken down and residents advised that non payment of charges will result in being clamped. Cllr Thirwell requested further information to enable him to chase up.

PLANNING :

Planning Applications – None received

Planning Permissions & Other Planning Items

Appeal Against Enforcement Notices : Brookside, Hunger Hill, Henley in Arden inc. land adjacent. Clerk to send letter to Planning Inspectorate requesting that property & surrounding land be returned to previous use.

Permission With Conditions – Four Acres, Blunts Green, Henley in Arden B95 5RD. Noted by Council.

Date of any Planning Meeting to be advised if required (clerk on holiday 12 – 22 October). If required, will be at 7pm, in the Committee Room.

MATTERS ARISING : 

Park House (previously Yew Tree Farm) : old entrance to the highway has been reopened as a temporary measure. Works have now been completed – Clerk to contact WCC Highways to request that temporary opening be closed.

Ullenhall PC web site : Council had discussion regarding updating the website in order to comply with new Transparency Code requirements. (see Correspondence Point 4)

Clerk has found a website www.communityspeedwatch.co.uk which “is a national initiative where active members of local communities join with the support of the Police to monitor speeds of vehicles using speed detection devices.” Council agreed to have a look at the website and at the next meeting discuss having one Councillor take responsibility to deal with this issue.

Following Cllr Horner suggesting that UPC might want to apply for the grant to deal with flood problems, Clerk had a brief look at the www.warwickshire.gov.uk/grants#floodsgrant website and printed off the 23 page guidance booklet. Council decided not to pursue.

CORRESPONDENCE :

Clerk had previously sent completed mandates to Lloyds Bank to add Cllrs Jones & Putnam as signatories on accounts : Cllr Bates confirmed he has updated the signature held on bank records.

Cllr Clayton received email from Mr. Denis Kynaston regarding the problems of vehicles speeding through the village. Clerk replied to Mr. Kynaston acknowledging his comments and advising that Council is currently investigating the use of speed guns for which volunteers would be required. Mr. Kynaston agreed to be added to volunteer list.Clerk received email from Mrs Claire Meyer stating her interest in being trained for speed awareness. Also proposed ‘pinch points’ throughout village. Clerk has acknowledged and added Ms Meyer to a list of possible volunteers. Clerk to contact WCC Highways to request if they would be willing to put further pinch points throughout the village.

Clerk had received email from Nicola Thompson at WALC regarding the availability of funding from the Transparency Fund to assist with costs to comply with Transparency Code. Cllr Jones advised that he had attended the Transparency Conference on Weds 13th September 2017 and that he has completed & submitted a draft claim for a grant. Clerk gave Cllr Jones the booklet from WALC about finance & transparency. Council agreed to wait for grant to be received at which point further works would be done in respect of a website including the purchase of necessary equipment and software.

Clerk has received two copies of the WALC annual report : one copy given to Cllr Jones.

Email received by Clerk on 2nd August from Lorraine Brock at WCC regarding street lighting issues, namely overgrown ivy & tree branches. Clerk requested Hughes Contract Services cut back overgrown ivy and tree branches. All works completed.

Clerk received (and forwarded to Councillors) letters from WALC regarding AGM. Cllr Jones may attend.

Clerk received email from Julie Tucker regarding Community Magazine printing : Cllr Jones will pass onto Andy Jones.

Clerk advised Council of email from WALC regarding West Mercia Police trying to ascertain whereabouts of two laser speed guns. Serial Nos. 448790 & 448907. Anybody with any information to please contact WALC.

Email received from WALC regarding new data protection legislation – noted by Council.

BANK ACCOUNTS :

As of 28th Sept 2017, total held = £24,733.53 :

Treasurers Account (Precept account)            = £ 5,464.39 (inc. Precept payment – see below)

Savings Account (Charity account)               = £19,269.14

Precept payment of £2,775.00 received via BACS – 28.09.17

 

PAYMENTS REQUIRED:

To be paid from *Precept / *Charity account

Reimbursement to clerk via BACS (Precept) – total due = £147.61

  • £10.00 – monthly travel allowance
  • £17.33 – use of home as office allowance (£4 per week x 52 weeks divided by 12 months)
  • £120.28 – Sept 2017 wages

£215.00 – payment via BACS to Hughes Contract Services for mowing and branch cutting works carried out during September 2017, including overgrown ivy etc. on street lights (Precept)

£138.22 – payment via BACS to e-on ref street lighting maintenance for quarter ending 30th Sept 2017 (Precept)

£20.00 – payment via cheque to Sue Osbourne for replacement defibrillator pads (Precept)

£36.00 – payment via BACS for hire of village hall (July, Aug & Sept @ £12 each (Precept).

 £100.00 – payment to be made to Grant Thornton in respect of Audit for the year ended 31st March 2017 once invoice has been received.

The clerk to arrange payments.

COUNCILLORS COMMENTS :

Cllr Fitzgerald had previously received complaints about tree cuttings & other garden debris in the vicinity of Crowley’s Close. Clerk had written to resident to request clear up. Debris still there. Apparently residents had agreement with 3rd Party to clear away. Clerk to write to residents again and request that they contact 3rd Party and insist on removal.

Cllr Bucknall noted that the finger post at the junction of Perrywell Lane / Mount Pleasant has fallen down. Clerk contacted John Brown at WCC via Cllr Horner. Received reply : has been added to works list by John Brown at WCC.

Council also agreed that “No Through Sign” at the end of White Pump Lane / junction of Blunts Green Road should be replaced. Clerk contacted WCC and received reply from Karen Lee : funding is allocated according to number of casualties – 1 incident in last 16 years, therefore not a priority.

Cllr Fitzgerald raised the problem of cars parking in Crowley’s Close, Perry Mill Lane and St. Mary’s Close : due to the vast number of vehicles (over 20) an ambulance could not get through. This is obviously not acceptable. Cllr Fitzgerald will approach residents and ask they apply for dropped kerbs.

Council agreed that the Christmas tree lighting will take place on Friday 1st December 2017 at 6pm.

 

Meeting Closed at 21.20

Next meeting to be held on Tuesday 7th November 2017

Posted in Parish Council

Leave a Reply